Sunday Baking Adventure! (a.k.a. sometimes cupcakes are not easy)
while baking, remember to devour half a block of cheese all by yourself. you'll feel so accomplished. i promise.
"THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU HAD PLANNED"
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 sticks butter
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 20 oz can light cherry pie filling
- 1 pack chocolate pudding mix
- melt chocolate and butter in bowl in the microwave
- mix in sugar
- Add one egg at a time, mixing for 10 seconds between each
- put the flour, baking powder, pudding mix, and salt into the mixture, mix until blended
- add cherry filling
- Scoop into cupcake cups and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
makes a shiz-ton of cupcakes! the recipe i used for the base chocolate cupcakes, said it yielded 25 cupcakes. that is officially bogus, considering i just put 30 in the oven, and i still have half the batter left. now comes 2 very important questions.
1. will i have to run back to the grocery and buy more cream cheese for the frosting?
2. how the fuzz am i supposed to get 60 cupcakes up to work tomorrow morning?
i just checked on the first batch after 20 minutes, and they appear to be done, but they have a kind of spongy feel to them, and the tops started to sink after a few minutes (this may be the pudding's fault). i put them back in for another 5 minutes just to make sure they'll hold together. i've got my fingers crossed that they don't end up looking like sad cupcakes, but at least i'm positive they'll taste great!
Now, the frosting.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese (again-i'm using fat free)
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
(i had to add an extra stick of butter because it didn't thicken up enough. after the extra butter it still wasn't thick enough. this is because the real problem was that i didn't have enough sugar. oh well. i just plopped the failure-frosting in the sunken holes of the cupcakes. looks cute enough)
definitely a hit at the office. and in my tummy. i ate six. holy sugar overdose. so they didn't turn out as imagined. but i'm going to pretend they were supposed to look like this. and they are really delicious! tastes puddingy. yums!
soundtrack: the baking process lasted the entirety of 2 weezer albums, one wilco album, and half of the wrens. i think it was the perfect progression from up-beat and exciting to mellow and contemplative, as i look back on my day of baking, and welcome the accidental results.