Last night Beth and I bought a big bottle of red wine, a wedge of brie, and the ingredients for these delicious spicy corn muffins! They're pretty easy to make and everyone at work loved them! I ate three today...hahah
Spicy Corn Muffins - from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my home to yours
- 1 cup all purpose flour - sifted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal - stone ground, sifted
- 3 tb sugar
- 1 tb baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 tb unsalted butter - melted and cooled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1 small jalapeno - seeded if you wish
- 1/4 red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 tb cilantro - finely chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Whisk together all purpose flour , cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, chilli powder, baking soda and black pepper and set aside.
In another large bowl lightly whisk egg yolk, buttermilk and melted butter till blended. Pour liquid into the dry ingredients. Add corn, chopped cilantro, jalapeno and diced bell pepper to the mixture. Divide batter into muffin pans lined with paper muffin cups.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the tops are brown. Cool muffins on a rack before serving. Makes about a dozen.